Recently, McDonald’s released a new addition to their coffee line – the turtle macchiato. I saw an ad for it, we were going to be right next to a McDonald’s (when are you not?), so we got one. Derek and I were supposed to share, but he was looking at something and he made me hold it and… I drank it all.
When we were contemplating getting one, I looked up the ingredients on their site and realized they were incredibly easy to make. Plus, we got Derek an espresso maker for his birthday last year, used it a ton, jumped on the matcha train, and let it get all dusty. So I saw this as an opportunity to dust it off and start drinking this new obsession of mine on a daily basis.
This recipe is a perfect melody of chocolate and caramel with a hint of nuttiness from the hazelnut syrup that compliments the bitter taste of the coffee. Now, this drink is on the sweeter side, but as always, you know your tastebuds so add however much or little of the chocolate, caramel, and hazelnut syrup you want. Start with the minimum values I listed in the recipe and go from there. Remember that all the flavorings have a lot of sugar in them, so don’t go nuts.
You can find the hazelnut syrup in the coffee aisle or order it online easily. The hot fudge topping and caramel topping will most likely be the end cap of the ice cream aisle or near the ice cream cones.
One final note, I called this a latte as it really is more of a latte than a macchiato. I looked up what a macchiato was and decided it was best to not provoke coffee connoisseurs and just call it a latte. If it isn’t a latte…well, at least I tried! 😅 Just make the darn thing and enjoy it for what it is.
Hot or Iced Turtle Latte
A lovely caramel, chocolate, and hazelnut latte that is delicious hot or cold, on a busy morning or a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- Espresso Shot (or 6oz brewed coffee)
- 1 – 3 teaspoons hazelnut syrup (like this)
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon caramel topping (I use this one)
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon hot fudge/chocolate topping (like this, not chocolate syrup!)
- 8oz or so of Milk (use 2oz cream if using coffee instead, if you want dairy free, you could easily add almond milk for extra nuttiness)
Hot Turtle Latte
- Prepare your espresso/coffee. Make your caffeine however you like, and pour into a 12-14 oz heat safe cup.
- Add Flavorings. Add the caramel, chocolate, and hazelnut syrup to the hot coffee. Stir well to help dissolve the chocolate and caramel toppings.
- Add milk. Steam your milk, or just heat it up in the microwave if you got places to be.
- Add foam. If you want to be all fancy add foam, I did for my pictures, but I usually am too lazy.
- Serve. Add a drizzle of chocolate and caramel to the top and serve (or you know just drink it after step 3 😊).
Iced Turtle Latte
- Prepare your espresso/coffee. Make your caffeine however you like, and place in a 12-14 oz mug.
- Add Flavorings. Add caramel, chocolate, and hazelnut syrup to the hot coffee. Stir well to help dissolve the chocolate and caramel toppings.
- Add ice. Fill your glass with ice and give it a quick stir to cool down the coffee/espresso.
- Add milk. Fill the glass with cold milk and stir.
Let me know what you think and if there are other drinks you would like to see me recreate. For more drinks, check out my mojito recipe here. For a full delicious breakfast to go with your coffee, check out my cheater’s eggs benedict.